Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I Love the Library

        My love for reading began at a very early age and it has only grown stronger over the years. Books make me very excited, so of course being in a library surrounded by them makes me overwhelmingly happy. Thinking about the library always brings a wave of fond memories crashing into me and I can associate different parts of my life with times at the library. As a young child, I spent hours upon hours at my local library. I attended children's events held there, checked out countless books, and begged my mom to take me there everyday after school. Later in life, I had the chance to be a part of the Governor's Scholars Program at Morehead State University. This experience would not have been as incredible if it had not been for the library there. The library allowed me to build friendships with people that will last forever. We spent so much of our time in that library and I can honestly say that my life was changed because of this. Most recently, I was able to visit the New York Public Library. While everyone else on the trip to New York headed for Times Square, Grand Central Station, and other common tourist attractions, my main goal was to reach the library. It was very beautiful inside and a great way to end my last day in NYC. 
        All of these experiences have given me a great appreciation for libraries in general, so the Lexington Public Library was easily my first choice for the service learning project. I have not yet begun volunteering, but I am excited to get started soon. I am also looking forward to practicing my Spanish speaking skills with the children that I will be tutoring. Interacting with these children will be great experience for me and I hope that I will be able to help them as much. I want to create an environment that is fun and enjoyable for the kids I will be working with by exhibiting kindness, patience, and understanding. I hope I can give them positive memories of their afternoons at the library that they will be able to look back on with association of good, uplifting times in their lives. I have felt this way and I want the children participating in the homework help program to share this same love of the library. 


       

No comments:

Post a Comment